Phelps County Development Corporation Provides Wage Data to Assist Local Industry with Workforce Retention and Attraction
24 Aug 2022
News, Client Feature Article, Workforce
This article originally appeared on and was written for Phelps County Development Corporation by Golden Shovel Agency.
Workforce shortages are top of mind for many industries and businesses. Forbes reports that the Great Resignation seen at the beginning of the year has morphed into the “Great Reshuffle.” While 4.4 million Americans quit their jobs in February, more than half of the workers who quit are switching their occupation or field of work rather than leaving the labor force altogether.
While the desire for positive company culture and flexible work schedules are factors for those seeking new employment, higher pay is still a significant driving force. Adjusting company pay scales to remain competitive in the market is a critical first step to retaining and attracting employees.
Local Competitive Wage Data
Phelps County Development Corporation (PCDC) has the data local manufacturers need to determine how their wages compare to others in the area. This edge is key for the development of a competitive pay scale.
The Nebraska Public Power District compiled the “Local Competitive Wage Data” report for PCDC. It contains demographic and industry data tabulated for areas within a 20-, 30-, and 50-miles radius of Holdrege, Nebraska.
The data for these geographical areas are further categorized by occupations. Occupational categories include:
- Logisticians and Project Management Specialists
- Mechanical Engineers
- Shipping, Receiving, and Inventory Clerks
- Miscellaneous Electrical and Electronic Equipment Mechanics, Installers, and Repairers
- Industrial Machinery Installation, Repair, and Maintenance Workers
- First-Line Supervisors of Production and Operating Workers
- Electrical, Electronics, and Electromechanical Assemblers
- Miscellaneous Assemblers and Fabricators
- Forming Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal, and Plastic
- Machine Tool Cutting Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal, and Plastic
- Molders and Molding Machine Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal, and Plastic
- Multiple Machine Tool Setters, Operators, and Tenders, Metal, and Plastic
- Tool and Die Makers
- Welding, Soldering, and Brazing Workers
- Miscellaneous Metal Workers and Plastic Workers
- Inspectors, Testers, Sorters, Samplers, and Weighers
- Packaging and Filling Machine Operators and Tenders
- Computer Numerically Controlled Tool Operators and Programmers
- First-Line Supervisors of Transportation and Material Moving Workers
- Laborers and Material Movers
About the Author
Connect with Ellen on LinkedIn
Ellen Williams is a Lead Copywriter for Golden Shovel Agency. Her unique skill sets expand from the foundation of science, academia, writing/editing, and project management. She is adept at breaking down articles and information precisely and clearly to educate general and professional audiences alike. Uniquely, while she is not practicing as a doctor, she has an M.D. and a strong laboratory science background.